‘Free State of Jones’ Moves to June 24th
STX Entertainment’s Civil War epic Free State of Jones is moving from May 13 to June 24. Directed by Gary Ross and starring Matthew McConaughey, the film follows Newt Knight, a defiant southern farmer who bands with local slaves and farmers to take on the confederate army in their county. Knight led an uprising in Jones County, Mississippi to succeed from the confederacy and create a free state.
The new date will allow it to be closer to the Fourth of July to give the film a patriotic theme. The film also stars Keri Russell, Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Mahershala Ali. The new date has the film competing with 20th Century Fox’s tentpole Independence Day: Resurgence and Sony’s Blake Lively drama thriller The Shallows. That is some strong competition and we will see how much of an impact McConaughey’s star power will result in people going to the theatres to see Free State of Jones.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)